Thursday, January 31, 2013

Pagan Origins of the Christian Myth

At the time I found Deism and "formed my own religion", there was no internet. But shortly after I discovered that my beliefs had a name - I came across what I call the smoking gun.

 A website called Pagan Origins of the Christian Myth. This is what I call the smoking gun, and it totally and completely opened my eyes.  It also explained exactly why I felt that Christianity was wrong and I was right.

  • When Osiris is said to bring his believers eternal life in Egyptian Heaven, contemplating the unutterable, indescribable glory of God, we understand that as a myth.
  • When the sacred rites of Demeter at Eleusis are described as bringing believers happiness in their eternal life, we understand that as a myth. 
  • In fact, when ancient writers tell us that in general ancient people believed in eternal life, with the good going to the Elysian Fields and the not so good going to Hades, we understand that as a myth.
  • When Vespatian's spittle healed a blind man, we understand that as a myth.
  • When Apollonius of Tyana raised a girl from death, we understand that as a myth. 
  • When the Pythia , the priestess at the Oracle at Delphi, in Greece, prophesied, and over and over again for a thousand years, the prophecies came true, we understand that as a myth.
  • When Dionysus turned water into wine, we understand that as a myth. When Dionysus believers are filled with atay, the Spirit of God, we understand that as a myth. 
  • When Romulus is described as the Son of God, born of a virgin, we understand that as a myth.
  • When Alexander the Great is described as the Son of God, born of a mortal woman, we understand that as a myth.
  • When Augustus is described as the Son of God, born of a mortal , we understand that as a myth.
  • When Dionysus is described as the Son of God, born of a mortal woman,we understand that as a myth. 
  • When Scipio Africanus is described as the Son of God, born of a mortal woman, we understand that as a myth.

SO how come when Jesus is described as...
the Son of God,
    born of a mortal woman,
       according to prophecy,
          turning water into wine,
            raising girls from the dead, and
              healing blind men with his spittle,
                setting it up so His believers got eternal life in Heaven
                   and off to Hades—er, I mean Hell—for the bad folks...

how come that's NOT a myth?

 Source - Pagan Origins of the Christian Myth

It is perfectly clear that Jesus was just another story - but this time a church (the central authority) grew up around this old belief and it is the church that has kept the story of this son of god alive for the last 2000 years. And caused no end of misery to the human race as a result.

I have long since stopped thinking of the dates BC and AD. I now prefer to use the neutral dating system - CE and BCE. CE means Common Era and BCE is Before the Common Era.

I dont openly broadcast my beliefs. That is now how Deism works.  We do not go around Prosetylizing.

I have no trouble saying that I believe in God - even if my version of God is most certainly NOT the god of the bible.

As Thomas Paine said -  Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. And the church has certainly been very cruel over the last 2000 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment