Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Happy Birthday Thomas Paine

Happy Birthday Thomas Paine.


Today - January 29, 2013 - is Thomas Paine Day.

Thomas Paine was born on this day in 1737. That is now 276 years ago.




Thomas Paine - Wikipedia


I started this blog in celebration of this philosophy that I have followed for almost 20 years. I thought that today was a good day to start this new blog on Deism.

Just a quick biography. I rejected the protestant church and teachings I was raised in at the age of 19. I had been asking questions since I was 16.

I spent the next 10 years searching, reading about and investigating various religions to find an answer.

By the age of 30, I eventually came to a conclusion. One that felt right and reasonable and logical for me. I did not know if there was a name for what I believed in, and so I assumed that it had no name.

A few years ago, I discovered that my philosophy did have a name, when I came across an article about the American Founding Fathers being Deists.  What they believed in, matched my beliefs almost exactly. I was ecstatic to discover that Deism has played a large part in American history


I don't call Deism a religion since it does not have a leader nor any holy books, nor do I attend any regular meetings. I do however want to investigate the history of Deism,

Thomas Paine was a major proponent and supporter of Deism - although at the time he had no name for his new ideas. He only knew that what religion was telling him, did not stand up to reason, logic and lots of questions.

So he wrote a few books to answer his questions. 

His most famous books are Common Sense and Age of Reason.



Image Source - World Union of Deists


No comments:

Post a Comment