Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Universe - a wonder to behold



I recently came across a wonderful image made by the Hubble telescope that really shows just how LARGE our universe is.  Hubble Deep Field Image - Galaxies


This image shows hundreds of galaxies out there in space - and that was only in one very small section of space.There are billions of galaxies in all the universe. 

We humans are just one small minute life form in one galaxy, amongst hundreds of millions of other galaxies.

The sooner we understand and accept just how small our species really is, the sooner we can accept that we are just one of many life forms in this universe and that we are NOT special, but we are also not alone.


As Jodie Foster (Ellie) says in the movie Contact (1997)
The question was asked - Are we the only ones?
Ellie's answer -  The Universe is a pretty big place - So if it's just us - It seems like an awful waste of space






I will also say this - the first 2 verses of the Hymn - How Great Thou Art - does represent the awe I feel whenever I look at the image of galaxies I linked to above.

O Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works Thy hand hath made.
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.
Chorus
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee;
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee:
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze:



No comments:

Post a Comment